2007-06-26

No Need for a Prime Mover

(OB1 reflects)

I read the words “Prime Mover” this morning, while reading a geographer's thoughts on the Nevada deserts of the Great Basin.

When I think about the universe, when I look around, and think there is no need for a prime mover as an explanation for existence, my experience becomes richer, awesome, alive, fertile. I am a part of a living thing.

If I think there was a prime mover, the universe becomes a thing, and I feel dissociated from it.

Without a prime mover, I can talk to the universe and be heard. I can completely express myself, say anything I want. There is no judgment, only the unfolding present.

My consciousness arises, and my consciousness will fade away.

I look at the beauty of the universe’s existence, watching it flow, from wonder, into wonder.

This is not about reason, nor what has to be, but my experience of what is.

The universe is a great smorgasbord, and though I cannot partake of it all, I am a participant in it.